Where to begin to explain my absence. Maybe I should just blame the holidays and move on. But I won’t. It’s them to some degree, sure. It was the first year I didn’t go home for Christmas and it hit me a lot harder than I’d like to admit, so I decided to take a break from social media. I turned off the notifications on my phone, didn’t even bother to check it some days and focused on what was happening and tried to just enjoy the moment.
What I thought would be a week off however, turned into a two and then three and it felt good. It felt good not to be worried about making my posts ‘Pinnable’ and checking Instagram. It just felt good. I had more quality time with Rich and more me time in the last three weeks that the last three months combined before that. Which is what’s brought me to break my silence.
I feel recharged. Although I still lack a little inspiration about what exactly I want to share. I’m ready to try again. Ready to brainstorm, engage on Instagram and explore Pinterest. Ready to do all the bloggy things that I’m meant to do. So, even though it’s late, I’m ready to welcome the new year and share my resolutions for 2018.
Most stem from realisations from my internet detox – including the big resolutions Rich and I made together.
- One night a week after work, NO phones.
- An entire day to ourselves with no distractions. I’m talking, no phones, no Apple Watches, no TV, nothing. Whether it’s spending the day outside or staying in and playing board games. Just us.
- Encouraging and supporting each others fitness goals. For us, this means going to the gym together and a some cheesy couple workouts. And also meal planning and healthy shopping together.
On top of that we each went on to make a few more goals for the new year, some of which elaborate on the above.
My Resolutions for 2018
- Make fitness a priority. Without Roslyn kicking my butt each week in our sessions, it’s hard for me to be motivated to go to the gym, let alone actually do a killer workout. So I decided to give the ever popular BBG a go once again. And to stop me from quitting after the free trial, I bought the entire year subscription up front! EEKKK
- Better food choices. Which compounds the first one because why bother with the costs of gym and BBG if I’m going to throw it away on takeaways. So, as of three days ago, we are gluten free and sugar free. We’re also trying to cut down on our diary intake. The hardest thing for me is my coffee – I need milk. And I love GF porridge, but that’s normally all.
- Practice more self care. Whether it’s knowing when I’m stressed and taking a step back or just enjoying a face mask without also trying to unload the dishwasher.
- Be a better blogger. Weird goal, I know. What it really means to me though is being more ‘me’ and sharing more ‘us’ in as real a way as possible. When I look through Instagram, my favourite moments are the ones, I know are real – where the story and the feeling and the emotions are real. As much as I wish I could go out on Saturdays and shoot 5 different looks for you, it’s not me. Even when we do little staged sessions, I try to make them as realistic as possible and always post on the day we shot them so the feelings are genuine. Before Christmas, I found myself scrolling through old photos just to post and when I realised that was what I was doing, I knew I needed to stop. I need to refuel. I needed to be a better blogger. You deserve more.
So go on, what are your goals for 2018? And if you took a little social media detox recently, leave me a comment and tell me your thoughts – did it have a big impact or were your not fazed by less screen time?